Updated May 17, 2022
TopoDOT® for MicroStation Connect is a 64-bit application that will perform well on moderately priced standard workstations or laptops meeting the following specifications:
Minimum (that we’ve tested):
- Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz
- Memory: 8GB
- Video Memory: 512MB (Intel Integrated Graphics)
- Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
- Storage Drive: 500GB HDD @ 5400RPM
- Processor: Intel Core i5
- Memory: 12GB+ DDR4-2113
- Video Memory: 1 GB+ (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960)
- Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
- Storage Drive: 1TB HDD @ 7200RPM
- Processor: Intel Core i7-11 or i7-12 series
- Memory: 32GB+ DDR4-3200+
- Video Memory: 4 GB+ (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060)
- Operating System: Windows 64-bit
- Storage Drive: 1TB+ SSD
Faster processor will speed up tool processing time. TopoDOT for MicroStation Connect will utilize multiple cores; therefore, the number of cores, faster clock speeds, and current architecture will all directly affect TopoDOT performance. Processor recommendation would be a current-generation Intel i7 or i9.
When loading data into TopoDOT to display / process, the data is loaded into RAM. MicroStation Connect is 64-bit, so the amount of point cloud data that can be loaded will depend on the amount of RAM available on the system. Faster memory clock speeds will provide TopoDOT tools faster access to the point cloud data; thus improving performance. 16GB will allow for roughly 500 million points, 32GB would allow roughly 1 billion points.
* The more point cloud data that is loaded, the slower some tools may perform. Therefore, it is not recommended to load beyond 24GB of memory.
Storage drive speed will influence data load times as the drive’s read/write speeds will be the bottleneck when the data is read from the drive and loaded into RAM. This is also why we always recommend avoiding working off of the network. Solid State Drives (Sata or NVMe) are recommended.
TopoDOT software includes all of the point cloud tools you need to maximize the value of your survey data. Try a free demo to see how TopoDOT can help your organization improve productivity and increase revenue.